Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hello!

Thanks for all of the messages guys!   I had trouble finding ways to get connected through the internet when we were traveling, but now I am back where I can use the internet and it feels good! :)    I had a wonderful day yesterday and today!!!  I tried to write a lot in my journal so I could remember everything.  One neat kid asked me, "What floor is America on...the 3rd or the 15th?"  Everything is apartments here!!!  So the question makes a lot of sense!!!  haha  :D  How cute and sweet! 

Another big hit has been my iPad.   It is amazing how quick the little kids pick up on it!!  

I feel like I am in Lisa's shoes being a "Muzoongoo" or whatever the people of Uganda called her.  We get a lot of curious looks when we walk down the street.  Lots do sideways glances trying to pretend that they are not looking, some try to talk to us, some don't care, others stop and look, and then others stop and look and completely turn around to continue watching us for as long as they can see...or even take a few steps to watch a little longer.  One group of young kids started pointing and laughing and laughing and jumping up and down.  I asked my friends if they were laughing because we were white and they said, "Yup!  Pretty much."    

Today when we were at a red light, a man pulled up beside us on a motorcycle with a young child on the motorcycle.  I saw him see us and then wondered if he was going to try to tell the kid to look at us.   Sure Enough!   He leaned forward and tried not to make it obvious, but it completely was.  I saw him whisper something and then the child immediately looked up to look in our window of our car to see the white people!   We waved, rolled down our window and said "Ni hao!"   The kid got a big kick out of it and the father smiled and laughed while we drove off when the light changed looking happy and satisfied.

The traffic here is very crazy!   People drive this way and that way...into oncoming traffic, diagonal, on sidewalks....while the people walking and riding bikes also feel that it is fine to go into oncoming traffic, cross diagnoal...weave in and out of traffic...etc.  It's wild.   I don't know how anyones brakes still work anymore after constantly having to be used to not hit somebody or another car!!!  My friend explained to me that it is kind of like skiing....the unspoken rule seems to be that it is kind of like skiing, you are responsible not to hit anyone in front of you.  My former student warned me about the traffic and told me to not get hit by a car when crossing the street or walking down the street.  I totally didn't take it seriously....I get it now!!!   I Totally get it!  

I got lots of many great pictures to share with you later. 

Much love,
Audra