Saturday, June 19, 2010

Breakfast buffet part 1

This was at the hotel in china that I stayed at one night.  The green little tied up 'packages'  are sticky rice wrapped in bamboo.  It is served at this time of year because of the dragon boat festival.  I am not a very big fan of the strange flavor and even texture of the very sticky rice that seems to grow and be never ending when you're given it as a special treat and eating it trying to be nice.  I was happy this was on a buffet and went right on by :)...but then I got to the end of the buffet and realized I hadn't picked anything!!  It was not your typical american breakfast.  My friend thougt I was funny for being so shocked at all of the noodles and vegetables...and all of the wait staff was watching me and smiling.  I finally found some watermelon...donut holes (which I thought were donut holes and very much wer Not), bread and then I got some rice porage that I put sugar in (the sugar was not for the rice porage but was put out for the tea).  My friend said that everyone was probably watching what I picked thinking 'what a strange combination and strange choices!'  haha :)   there were not many people in the room but it sounded like there were with all of the slurping and eating noises that are not considered rude in China.
-- Sent from my Palm Pre